Saturday 29 April 2017

Park Ranger with an ostomy

As a park ranger, my days generally consist of walking around in nature, making sure that anyone who is here is safe, and not doing anything that is considered not public appropriate. I really enjoy my job as a park ranger. When I was a child, I really loved being outdoors. I did not have many friends growing up because I had an ostomy bag. The other children thought they would catch my disease, and that really hurt my feelings. I learned that nature was a good outlet for me as I can escape the fast paces world and get back to the roots of humanity. 


When I was born, I was born with a defect. That defect is called imperforate anus. This means that when I was born, my anal opening was nowhere to be found. The doctors had to perform a quick colostomy procedure on me as a baby. To this day, I can not imagine the thoughts rushing through my parent’s minds when they were told this. Your newborn baby needs to have surgery; can you imagine that? As I said, I can not even imagine hearing this as I am a parent myself. If the doctor told me that, I think I would have been heartbroken. 



Today I am a park ranger, and I have been for the last five years. I have met a lot of people like me who also enjoy being outdoors as an escape from the fast-paced world. As a park ranger, it is my job to make sure that people are enjoying their time at the park. I also need to make sure that no one is doing anything that is not considered public appropriate. Most of the time, I spend my days either walking or riding an ATV around the park. I prefer the ATV; it’s a lot of fun to drive around. Having an ostomy bag in this field is not restricting by any means. It does not get in the way as some may think. It only limits my ability to lean to the left, but that’s about all. Plus, I don’t need to lean much, so I never really notice it. Having the bag is also a plus when I’m deep in the woods away from a bathroom. 



I love my job because I can be out in nature. I love taking in all the sights and smells. Even though I have been at this park for five years, I still love being here. I can’t get enough of nature and everything it has to offer. There is a special place I enjoy going to that is next to a waterfall. It is really peaceful to sit there listening to the rushing water and chirping birds. I love being out in the nature, and I am so glad to have gotten a job that allows me to do what I love on a daily basis. 



Being a park ranger has been a life-changing experience. I have been able to meet many people who are in the same situation as I am. It is refreshing to know that I am not alone in my journey with an ostomy. Having this job has allowed me to be in nature every day, and as I mentioned, I love the outdoors; I have since I was a young kid. It has helped me escape the negative people in the past and has helped me grow into a better person. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Paintball tournament burst my ostomy bag

Paintball, the professional term being speedball, is a five vs. five sport where you are trying to hit the enemy players with your paint, an...